Regional director for Latin America
Do you want to change the world by leading and developing our work in Latin America? We offer you an exciting job in an international organization that makes a difference!
Diakonia is a Swedish non-profit organization for international development cooperation and humanitarian assistance. Diakonia supports over 400 partner organisations in 25 countries – in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Diakonia operates on feminist principles and a human rights-based approach. The basis for our work is people’s right and desire to improve and change the world. Our focus areas are human rights, democracy and gender equity. Since the beginning of 2021 Diakonia is working with a new strategy, containing four movements that will lead to an interesting and exciting journey for the organization.
In Latin America, Diakonia works in 8 countries with an annual budget of 110 MSEK.
Role and responsibilities
As Regional Director you contribute to Diakonia’s strategic development and you lead and develop operations in the Latin America region, in line with feminist and human-rights based principles and our core values of solidarity, justice, courage, commitment and accountability. You head the regional management team and you are part of Diakonia’s Extended Management Team, led by the Secretary General. You report to the International Director at Head Office. Your responsibilities include:
- Lead and develop operations in the region building on continuous context analysis, partner dialogue and learning. Monitor the effectiveness of the programmes, making adjustments as needed. Prepare and follow up operational plans and budgets, adapting to relevant changes and trends.
- Raise and manage funds in line with Diakonia’s guidelines, donor requirements and external regulations.
- Overall responsibility for human resources, work environment and security in the region, including direct line management of country directors and regional office staff.
- Promote strategic communication and build networks within Diakonia and externally.
Experience and qualifications
We are looking for an experienced leader that knows how to create and promote trust in the organization. You are an excellent listener who leads with strong integrity and commitment, who truly believes in teamwork while you are very clear on mandate and decision making. You are pro-active and well organized and have excellent communication skills both speaking and writing, including using digital tools. We also want you to have the following qualifications:
- University degree or equivalent in relevant area
- Experience from international development cooperation, working with a rights-based approach in partnership with local civil society organisations
- Social, economic and political analysis of Latin America
- Knowledge in Diakonia’s thematic focus areas
- Management of donor relations and resource mobilization
- Financial management including budgeting
- Proficiency in English, Spanish and Swedish
This is a plus
- Experience of humanitarian assistance
- Knowledge of Human Resource Management
We offer you an exciting job in an international environment, where you become part of a culture that characterized by our core values: solidarity, justice, courage, commitment and accountability. We also offer a package with conditions for expatriate staff.
Location: Bogotá, Colombia
Start date: 10th January 2022 or per agreement
Employment type: Two-year contract with possible extension.
Diakonia is certified against the Core Humanitarian Standard on quality, accountability and transparency.
Send us your application by October 3
We ask you to send us your CV and cover letter in English, marked “Regional Director LA” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity and inclusion reflect the world we want to see. We also know that different perspectives, experiences, and competences are key for Diakonia to be a relevant, capable and successful organisation. We therefore strive to recruit staff with different ethnic and socio-economic background, gender, gender identity and/or expression, religion, age, disability and sexual orientation.
Interviews may start before the end of the application period. We use tests as part of the selection process. Background checks will be made for the final candidate.
If you have questions about the position or the recruitment process, please contact Anna Eggelind, International Director, +46-8-4536967
Unionen: Magnus Walan, +46-8-4536916
Akademikerföreningen: Julle Bergenholtz-Foglander, +46-76-5011744
Diakonia is committed to provide a safe environment for all employees, free from harassment, exploitation, abuse and discrimination. Further, Diakonia is committed to the prevention and protection against sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse of the rights holders that we work with and support, with zero tolerance against breaches of this commitment.
Diakonia processes personal data in order to administrate applications and fill vacant positions. We use consent as legal basis. By sending us your CV and application documents, you at the same time consent to Diakonia processing your personal data under the Data Protection Regulation.
We use this information only for and during the recruitment process. For this purpose, we may use the information you have shared with us, such as your resume, personal letter, notes from interviews and conversations with reference persons. No personal data is saved after a recruitment process is completed.