Regional Finance and Admin Manager – Middle East and North Africa Region
Do you want to change the world by leading and developing Diakonia’s financial management in the MENA region? The assignment also includes leading the overall financial planning and follow-up of the Diakonia’s Global International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Centre programme. We offer you an exciting job in an international organization that makes a difference!
Diakonia is a Swedish non-profit organization for international development cooperation and humanitarian assistance. Diakonia supports over 400 partner organisations in 25 countries – in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Diakonia operates on feminist principles and a human rights-based approach. The basis for our work is people’s right and desire to improve and change the world. Our focus areas are human rights, democracy and gender equity. Since the beginning of 2021 Diakonia is working with a new strategy, containing four movements that will lead to an interesting and exciting journey for the organization.
In the Middle East region, Diakonia works in 3 countries with an annual budget of approx. 50 MSEK. The MENA regional office is currently located together with the Diakonia Head office in Stockholm, while we are exploring options to set it up in the MENA region again.
Role and responsibilities
As Regional Finance and Admin Manager, you lead and develop the financial management and internal control systems in the MENA region. You supervise and coach a team of Finance and Admin staff across the region and support country offices. You also have an assignment to lead the financial planning and follow-up of Diakonia’s Global IHL Centre (currently located in Jerusalem, Lebanon, Mali and Sweden), which is a specialist legal centre of excellence, engaging in high level research, advocacy and capacity building, centred around the promotion of international humanitarian law. You are part of the Regional Management Team and report to the Regional Director.
Your main responsibilities include:
- Leading and developing budgeting/financial planning, financial follow up and reporting.
- Overseeing all audits in the region.
- Ensure that Diakonia and its partners are compliant with requirements and standards as stated in agreements and policies.
- Ensuring and strengthening internal control and accountability procedures and systems.
- Functional supervision of the MENA Finance and Admin team.
- Oversight of the administration, maintenance and day to day running of the Regional Office, including operational responsibilities of accounting, payments and reconciliation.
- Supporting the feasibility study and possible establishment of a regional office in the MENA region.
- Lead the financial planning and follow-up of Diakonia’s Global IHL Centre.
- Responsible for both internal financial reporting to Diakonia Head Office, and external financial reporting to back donors.
- Contribute to the overall management and strategic development of Diakonia’s operations in MENA as part of the regional management team.
Experience and qualifications
We are looking for an experienced professional with a strategic, flexible and solution-oriented mindset. You have a high integrity and value accountability and quality and believe in teamwork. You are pro-active and well organized and have excellent communication skills both speaking and writing, including using digital tools. We also want you to have the following qualifications:
- University degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, Accounting and Finance or other related field.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and internal control systems.
- Demonstrated experience working with Grant agreements with Sida and other International back donors.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated experiences working in an International Organisation.
- Good interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Fluency in English.
This is a plus
- Experience working within the humanitarian/development sector.
- Command of Arabic
We offer you an exciting job in an international environment, where you become part of a culture that characterized by our core values: solidarity, justice, courage, commitment and accountability.
Location: Stockholm, Sweden. Subject to COVID related travel restrictions, some international travel is expected.
Start date: As soon as possible in 2022.
Employment type: One-year contract with possible extension.
Diakonia is certified against the Core Humanitarian Standard on quality, accountability and transparency.
Send us your application by February 6th, 2022
We ask you to send us your CV and cover letter in English, marked “Regional Finance Manager MENA” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity and inclusion reflect the world we want to see. We also know that different perspectives, experiences, and competences are key for Diakonia to be a relevant, capable and successful organisation. We therefore strive to recruit staff with different ethnic and socio-economic background, gender, gender identity and/or expression, religion, age, disability and sexual orientation.
Interviews may start before the end of the application period.
If you have questions about the position or the recruitment process, please contact: Peter Ottosson, Regional Director MENA, email@example.com.
Akademikerföreningen: Julle Bergenholtz Foglander, +46 (0)76 501 17 44
Unionen: Magnus Walan, +46-(0)8 453 69 16
Diakonia is committed to provide a safe environment for all employees, free from harassment, exploitation, abuse and discrimination. Further, Diakonia is committed to the prevention and protection against sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse of the rights holders that we work with and support, with zero tolerance against breaches of this commitment.
Diakonia processes personal data in order to administrate applications and fill vacant positions. We use consent as legal basis. By sending us your CV and application documents, you at the same time consent to Diakonia processing your personal data under the Data Protection Regulation.
We use this information only for and during the recruitment process. For this purpose, we may use the information you have shared with us, such as your resume, personal letter, notes from interviews and conversations with reference persons. No personal data is saved after a recruitment process is completed.