Regional Communication Officer
We are seeking a talented communicator for the Africa Region, who can share stories of change, particularly from Africa, and amplify the voices of rights holders to advocate for further improvements.
Diakonia is a Swedish non-profit organization for international development cooperation and humanitarian assistance. Diakonia supports over 350 partner organisations in 25 countries – in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Diakonia operates on feminist principles and a human rights-based approach. The basis for our work is people’s right and desire to improve and change the world. Their focus areas are human rights, democracy and gender equity.
Diakonia witnesses firsthand how people can change the world in various regions such as Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, Europe, and Asia. We are seeking a talented communicator who can share these stories of change, particularly from Africa, and amplify the voices of rights holders to advocate for further improvements.
We are looking for a Communications Officer who is skilled in multiple platforms and can identify compelling stories, effectively presenting them through print, video, and other mediums. The ability to turn stories into advocacy opportunities is crucial, and radio skills would be a plus. While proficiency in Swedish is not required, proficiency in English and French is necessary as Diakonia has country offices in Mozambique, the DRC, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Mali, and Burkina Faso.
Role and responsibilities
- Produce communication, information and advocacy material from Diakonia’s work in Africa in close cooperation with the departments for advocacy, communication and fundraising at Diakonia’s Head Office in Stockholm.
- Develop and facilitate implementation of a communication strategy and plan for Diakonia in Africa.
- Strengthen and implement communication aspects in the fundraising and advocacy work in the region and to target groups in Sweden.
- Coordinate and facilitate Diakonia’s external communication in Africa on the platforms and channels identified in the communication strategy/plan.
- Provide directed support for crisis communication.
- Coordinate and serve as link between Diakonia Head Office, Regional Office and Country offices on communication.
- Be the focal point in the region concerning communication needs of HO.
- Train colleagues in the region on communication for advocacy and learning as well as on engagement with the media.
- Coordinate the collection of material by Diakonia country staff in the region.
- Provide communication material to HO.
- Be part of the global communication team.
Experience and qualifications
- A Degree in journalism, PR or communication
- At least 3 years’ experience in a non-profit organization
- Proven records of advocacy and storytelling
- Editing skills for video
- Graphic design skills
- Photographic skills, video and still
- Digital fluency
- Good interpersonal skills and experience from working in a multicultural setting.
Location: Based in any of Diakonia country offices in the region (national contract) - Nairobi | Lusaka | Harare | Bamako | Ouagadougou | Maputo | Kinshasa
Start date: As soon as possible
Employment type: 1-year contract, renewable
Apply no later than February 16th 2024.
Diakonia is certified against the Core Humanitarian Standard on quality, accountability and transparency.
Diakonia is committed to provide a safe environment for all employees, free from harassment, exploitation, abuse and discrimination.
For this position, background checks will be made for the final candidate.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.