Regional Communication Officer – Africa
Are you our new storyteller? Diakonia Africa Regional Office is looking for a Regional Communication Officer. We offer you an exciting job in an international organization that makes a difference.
Diakonia is a Swedish non-profit organization for international development cooperation and humanitarian assistance. Diakonia supports over 350 partner organisations in 26 countries – in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Diakonia operates on feminist principles and a human rights-based approach. The basis for our work is people’s right and desire to improve and change the world. Our focus areas are human rights, democracy and gender equity. Since the beginning of 2021 Diakonia is working with a new strategy, containing four movements that will lead to an interesting and exciting journey for the organization.
Diakonia knows that people change the world. We see it every day. In Africa, in Latin America, in the Middle East, in Europe and in Asia. And we want the world to know that change is happening. Are you our new communicator who will tell our change stories from Africa? We are looking for a storyteller who is fluent on all platforms, can identify good stories, and knows how to tell them in print and video. Radio skills is a plus but not a must.
We want our stories to speak to target groups in Africa and in Sweden where we have our head office. We are not expecting you to speak Swedish but since we have country offices in Mozambique, the DRC, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Mali and Burkina Faso English is a must, and French and Portuguese a plus.
Role and responsibilities
- Produce communication, information and fundraising material from Diakonia’s work in Africa in close cooperation with the department for communication and fundraising at Diakonia’s Head Office in Stockholm.
- Develop and facilitate implementation of a communication strategy and plan for Diakonia in Africa
- Strengthen and implement communication aspects in the fundraising and advocacy work in the region and to target groups in Sweden.
- Coordinate and facilitate Diakonia’s external communication in Africa on the platforms and channels identified in the communication strategy/plan
- Coordinate and serve as link between Diakonia Head Office, Regional office and Country offices on communication
- Be the focal point in the region concerning communication needs of HO.
- Train colleagues in the region on communication.
- Coordinate the collection of material by Diakonia country staff in the region.
- Provide communication material to HO.
- Be part of the global communication team.
Experience and qualifications
- A Degree in journalism, PR or communication
- At least 5 years’ experience in a non-profit organization
- Editing skills for video
- Graphic design skills
- Photographic skills, video and still
- Digital fluency
- Good interpersonal skills and experience from working in a multicultural setting.
We offer you an exciting job in an international environment, where you become part of a culture that is characterized by our core values: solidarity, justice, courage, commitment and accountability.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start date: September 2022
Employment type: 1-year contract, renewable
APPLY HERE before 14th August
Diakonia is committed to provide a safe environment for all employees, free from harassment, exploitation, abuse and discrimination.
For this position, background checks will be made for the final candidate.
Diakonia is certified against the Core Humanitarian Standard on quality, accountability and transparency.